ABOUT DR. CARTER
Dr. Carter is a decorated Army Veteran who served as a proud protector of his country for more than 25 years. Retiring at the rank of Major, he worked as a physical therapist, and also served in Operation Desert Storm (90-91) and Operation Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom (06-07). Major Carter served in various leadership roles, to include Executive Officer of an Army Hospital unit in which he was responsible for the management and well-being of 350 soldiers. Major Carter has received multiple awards to include: Two Army Commendation Medals, Two Army Achievement Metals, Saudi Arabia Service Medal recipient, Combat Medic badge recipient, and a graduate of Commanders and General’s staff college.
Dr. Carter has practiced as a professional physical therapist for more than 20 years. A graduate of Langston University, he obtained Bachelor’s Degrees in Biology (1993,) as well as Physical Therapy (1997). He received his Master of Science in Physical Therapy, with a focus in Orthopedics from Texas Woman’s University (2007) and a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Simmons College (2013). He is also a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) and a graduate of the esteemed Fort Bend Leadership Forum.
Dr. Carter has always been a driven leader, and authority in his field. In an effort to change healthcare by providing unparalleled value for his patients, he has founded several businesses. He is the President & CEO of Sterling Physical Therapy & Wellness (2008), SPTW Transportation Services, LLC (2009) and Sterling Physical Therapy & Wellness of OakBend Medical Center (2016).
Dr. Carter has received numerous individual awards to include; Top 40 under 40 by Fort Bend Business Journal, as well as A Top Houston Health Care Professional (2012 & 2013). He was inducted into the Willowridge High School hall of fame (2016), and recently received the Langston University Alumnus of the Year award (2018). A well-known speaker in the Houston community, he has spoken and lectured at numerous colleges and Universities, including Texas Woman’s University, the 2014 Commencement Ceremony for Everest Institute and multiple national podcasts. His story has been recorded in several different publications, to include: The Rehab Insider, D-Mars Health and Wellness Journal, Fort Bend Business Journal, Sugar Land Magazine, Fort Bend Focus Magazine, and many others.
Considered an expert in the Physical Therapy profession, Dr. Carter has written over 50 different blogs, and shares a wealth of educational material on the Sterling Physical Therapy YouTube channel, where he reaches thousands of viewers daily. Dr. Carter also produces educational videos, teaches continuing education courses, and serves as a contributing author for numerous journals and publications.
Today, Dr. Carter frequently treats patients, and is frequently sought out by satellite television network, TLC. It is here that Dr. Carter can also be seen worldwide, as he continues to share his life-saving message of health on TLC’s hit TV show “My 600-lb Life.” While TLC follows medical journeys of morbidly obese people — each weighing more than 600 pounds, Dr. Carter uses his knowledge and expertise, while helping patients drastically change their appearances and reclaim their independence.
Dr. Carter has partnered with his twin brother, Stephen Levi Carter, to open several additional businesses, to include: Sterling Staffing Solutions (2011), Sterling Energy Solutions (2013), Sterling Security Group (2017), and Sterling Strategic Counsel (2018).
Achieving significant business growth throughout their companies, Sterling, Stephen and their teams have been honored with many accolades, including Inc. 5000 list (2016, 2017, and 2018) for fastest growing businesses in the US, Better Business Bureau Health care company of the year (2017), Stevie Awards winner with the American Business Association for Minority Business of the Year, (2017,2018), Stevie Awards winner with the American Business Association for Veteran Business of the Year (2018), Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce Pinnacle Award Winner (2017).
Sterling and Stephen will launch their first book under ForbesBooks Fall, 2018
An advocate of mentorship and philanthropy, Dr. Carter is a member of the 100 Black Men of America, Houston Metropolitan chapter and mentors young males throughout the community. He is also a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Prince Hall Affiliated Free & Ancient Mason, and a Life Scout in the Boy Scouts of America. He enjoys mentoring students who are interested in Physical Therapy as well, and provides opportunities through the Sterling Physical Therapy, college volunteer program. Dr. Carter also sponsors several community-based sports teams and non-profit organizations. Dr. Carter and his brother created a program known as Sterling C.A.R.E.S. , where their staff gives back to those in need within the community. Dr. Carter also served as the 2017 Chairman of the Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce, the Healthcare Division committee chair (2014-2016), and currently serves on the Board of Directors. He also serves on the Board of Directors for St. Michael’s Learning Academy and the Fort Bend Education Foundation.
When not working, Dr. Carter enjoys traveling and spending time with his family. He is happily married to his wife Crystal Carter, and they are the proud parents to their son, Garry.
Double Your Success
Principles to build a multi-million dollar business
Dr. Sterling L. Carter and twin brother Stephen Levi Carter are the co-author of Forbes Books, “Success by Design: Strategies to build a multi-million dollar business” that is scheduled to release on October 24th, 2018.
Sterling is now accepting speaking and lecture opportunities all over the World.
- Dr. Carter has written over 50 different blogs
- Dr. Carter has a you tube channel with over 80 educational videos about Physical Therapy/Health and Wellness topics with a total of 30,000 views
- Dr. Carter has shared his life-saving message of health on TLC’s TV show “My 600-lb Life.”
- serves as a contributing author for D-Mars Health and Wellness Journal.
- guest lecturer including speaking to Texas Woman’s University Doctoral Students
- keynote speaker at the 2014 Commencement Ceremony Everest Institute
- he has been a part of multiple different national podcasts speaking about business, leadership, and healthcare
- His story has been recorded in several different publications, to include: The Rehab Insider, D-Mars Health and Wellness Journal, Fort Bend Business Journal, Sugar Land Magazine, and Fort Bend Focus Magazine.
• Top 40 under 40 by Fort Bend Business Journal: 2010
• Top Houston Health Care Professional: 2012 & 2013
• Awarded honorary day by Larry Green, State Representative: 2015
• Inducted into the Willow ridge High School hall of fame: 2016
• Received the Langston University Alumnus of the Year award: 2018.
• Inc. 5000 list for fastest growing businesses in the US: 2016, 2017, & 2018.
• Better Business Bureau Business2Business Healthcare company of the year: 2017.
• Stevie Awards winner with the American Business Association for Minority Business of the Year: 2017 & 2018.
• Stevie Awards winner with the American Business Association for Veteran Business of the Year: 2018
• Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce Pinnacle Award Finalist: 2017
• Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce Pinnacle Award Winner: 2018
- US Army (Retired Reserves)
- Greater Houston Partnership
- Better Business Bureau
- Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce
- Fort Bend Education Foundation
- Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Music Fraternity
- Prince Hall Free & Ancient Masonry
- Who’s Who in Black Houston
- 100 Black Men of Houston Metropolitan Chapter
Dr. Carter currently serves as the current Chairman of the Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce (One of the largest chambers in Texas and only of very few five-star accredited chambers) and is the past chair of its Healthcare Committee. In addition, he is also a board of director for St. Michael’s Learning Academy and the Fort Bend Education Foundation and a board member of the Fort Bend Education Foundation.
Dr. Sterling Carter has always been an advocate of mentorship and philanthropy. He is a member of the 100 Black Men of America Houston Metropolitan chapter, and mentors young African American males on a monthly basis. In addition, Dr. Carter has a student volunteer program within his physical therapy practice, in which he mentors 40 – 50 college students every year who are interested in the physical therapy profession. Dr. Carter also sponsors several community based sports teams to further support his community.
Dr. Carter, in the spirit of entrepreneurship, has founded several prosperous businesses, to include:
Sterling Physical Therapy & Wellness (2008)
SPTW Transportation Services, LLC (2009)
Sterling Physical Therapy & Wellness of OakBend Medical Center (2016)
Sterling Physical Therapy & Wellness in Katy, TX and Spring, TX (4th Quarter 2018)
Sterling is also the co-founder (along with his twin brother), and partner Stephen Carter:
Sterling Staffing Solutions (2011)
Sterling Energy Solutions, LLC(2013)
Sterling Physical Therapy & Wellness of OakBend Medical Center (2016)
White Orchid Hospice (2017)
Sterling Security Group, LLC (Security Staffing) (2017)
Sterling Strategic Counsel (Legal Staffing) (2018)
My MedCred (Medical Credentialing) (2018)